Founded in 1946, CHIBRO developed its operations with the production of thermometers and measuring instruments and later with sales of plumbing and heating products for the civil and industrial sectors.
In May 2013 the production and sales activities related to stainless steel and CUNIpressfitting systems, the Steckdrain system for gravity and vacuum drainage systems and the Hermetic wall penetration system were taken over by Ilta Inox SpA, a company of the Arvedi Group.
The CHIBRO pressfitting system allows the reliable and economic construction of pipelines for various types of plants in the industrial, residential, commercial and shipbuilding sectors, in a range of diameters from 15 to 108 mm.
In austenitic Cr-Ni-Mo stainless steel no. 1.4404 according to standard UNI EN 10088 (AISI 316 L).
Welded pipes in austenitic Cr-Ni-Mo stainless steel no. 1.4404 produced according to standard UNI EN 10088 (AISI 316 L).
- Wastewater drainage systems in the chemical industry, boats, food, dairy and pharmaceutical industries, industrial kitchens.
- Rainwater drainage systems
- Possibility of realising systems thanks to a wide choice of piping and fittings with diameters from 40 to 200 mm
Main benefits of the system
- • Non-combustibility: the programme is catalogues in class A of fire resistance
- Low noise: the mass of STECKDRAIN steel piping transmits the noise generated by the flow of drainage water significantly lower than legal limits.
- Water tightness: piping joints are within the limits off standards DIN 19530 Part 2 for joint collars
- Resistance to corrosion: nickel-chrome austenitic steel have excellent resistance to corrosion
- Ease and speed of assembly
The basic elements of the System are the special CUNIPRESS joints in cupronickel 90/10 which, available in various types and sizes, allow distribution networks to be realized using only joints and straight length tubes. The joints at each end have a toroidal chamber into which a synthetic rubber O-ring is inserted which, once deformed by the pressing action of the clamp, hermetically seals the coupling with the tube.
Mechanical sealing is guaranteed by the joint deformation of the coupling and the tube inserted into it.
By using the appropriate mixed couplings, the systems realised using the CUNIPRESS system can also be connected with flanged or threaded elements.
The second element of the system is composed of cold drawn CUNIPRESS tubes in cupronickel 90/10 which are supplied annealed in straight lengths of 6 metres.
The following series of diameters and wall thicknesses is available:
To guarantee optimal tightness in all conditions of application the tubes have a dimensional tolerance on the outside diameter within the limits specified by standard ASTM B 466 M. The sealing O-ring is realized in a special elastomer material that is particularly resistant to ageing, seawater, hot and cold freshwater (even in the presence of additives normally used for drinking water).
The patented Hermetic system allows reliable, speedy and economical wall penetration of watertight subdivision bulkheads and firewalls with piping systems on board ships and off-shore units of any type and size. All the stages of the Hermetic system have passed the fire standard test for class A-60 prescribed by Resolution IMO 754 (18) and a hydrostatic test with a water column head of over 100 metres.
Hermetic wall penetrations are composed of three metallic disks with a central hole for the insertion onto the tube which is to cross the bridge or wall (see fig. 1A).
Disk A is fitted with an O-ring which seals and couples with the tube, a flat seal for hydraulic tightness is coupled with the structure and a seal in intumescent material which, in case of fire, expands filling the empty spaces and ensures the fire-resistance of the passage.
The disks, on assembly, are connected to each other by screws (which pass through the same hole as the tube) so as to form a single unit, wall-disks-tube, that is strong and perfectly hermetic (see fig. 1B)
The description above immediately highlights the innovative characteristics of Hermetic wall penetration compared with conventional types, i.e. the penetration is mounted on board without welding. The same type of wall penetration can be installed on steel structures, light alloys or any other material and, for the same diameter, different grades of tubes (carbon steel, stainless steel, copper alloys etc.) The wall penetrations can be mounted on any section of piping, so it is no longer necessary to separately pre-manufacture and manage conventional “watertight passages” composed of a section of tube prepared for connection, through welding, to the structure and for coupling with the piping.
The main advantages of the system of are:
- Shorter assembly times on board. The installation of a conventional type of wall penetration requires the welding of the external coupling or intermediate flange onto the two sides of the crossed structure and its subsequent connection to the piping. Hermetic wall penetration requires only the screw coupling of the two disks and the tightening of the disk to compress the O-ring.
- Elimination of all the problems caused by on-board welding (deformation of structures, welding sprays onto already mounted components, etc).
- Better quality of the end product.
- The tube of the wall penetration zone is not welded and therefore maintains its mechanical and corrosion-resistance characteristics unchanged.
- Simplified management of the wall penetration and greater ease of application.
- Reduction of overall costs.
Hermetic wall penetrations can be used for bridges and watertight compartment walls (under the wall bridge) and firewalls up to class A 60. The range of diameters for Hermetic penetration tubes ranges from OD 14 mm to OD 273 mm. Penetration is designed and tested to support a hydrostatic water column head of 100 m and may therefore be used on ships and off-shore units of any size.
Hermetic wall penetration is approved for all the afore-mentioned applications by the following:
- Registro Italiano Navale
- Lloyd's Register Of Shipping
- American Bureau Of Shipping
- Det Norske Veritas
- Germanischer Lloyd
Approval certificates are available on request.
If necessary, approval can be obtained from other Bodies.
Ilta inox S.p.A. - divisione CHIBRO
Address: Via Valtellina, 15 - 22070 Montano Lucino (CO) ITALY
Telephone: +39 031 47 81 800 +39 031 54 14 11
Mail: [email protected]
Ilta inox S.p.A.
Address: Strada Statale 45 bis - 26010 Robecco d’Oglio / Cremona
Ilta Inox Spa - Chibro production unit, wishes to inform its customers that the products relative to the Energy and Heating sector are no longer sold and therefore any requests for information by phone or mail regarding these products will not be answered. We kindly invite our customers to consult our website for information on the articles currently produced: stainless steel pressfitting and CUNI, Steckdrain drainage system and Hermetic wall penetration.